W. V. Cats
Welcome to W. V. Cats. Living with cats can be a joy, but can also have some problematic moments. The articles and information in this site are intended to help make living with current cats better, but also to help with the decision to rescue or adopt additional cats from shelters or the streets. See below for Contents descriptions.
Share your thoughts or ask questions about cats on our forum, at http://wvcatsforum.tuxedocatwebs.com/index.php.
Updated pages: Cats Need Scratching Posts and Mats
News Related to Cats
Do your shopping at the Animal Rescue Site to get beautiful gifts, and help shelter animals at the same time!
Natura Pet Issues Voluntary Recall of Specialized Dry Pet Foods Due to Possible Health Risk
June 18, 2013: Natura Pet Products is voluntarily recalling specific lots of dry pet food because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The affected foods are certain lots of Innova Dry dog and cat food and biscuits/bars/treats; EVO dry dog, cat and ferret food and biscuits/bars/treats; California Natural dry dog and cat foods and biscuits/bars/treats; Healthwise dry dog and cat foods; Karma dry dog foods and Mother Nature biscuits/bars/treats.
Diamond Pet Foods recalls limited production codes of Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge Senior Cat Hairball Management Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge Kitten Formula dry cat food, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula dry cat food and 4health All Life Stages Cat Formula dry cat food.
March 10, 2013: Tests conducted by the company indicated the products might have a low level of thiamine (Vitamin B1). Thiamine is essential for cats in maintaining normal nervous system function. Cats fed product with the previously listed Production Codes and Best By dates exclusively for several weeks may be at risk for developing a thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is essential for cats in maintaining normal nervous system function. Symptoms of thiamine deficiency can be gastrointestinal or neurological in nature. Early signs of thiamine deficiency may include decreased appetite, salivation, vomiting and weight loss. In advanced cases, neurological signs can develop, which may include ventriflexion (bending towards the floor) of the neck, wobbly walking, falling, circling and seizures. Pet owners should contact their veterinarians immediately if a cat is displaying any of these signs. If treated promptly, thiamine deficiency typically is reversible.
See News Related to Cats page for other feline medical, health and wellness news
* Books on Cats Books with advice and information about caring for cats and dealing with cat problems, as well as fiction for children and adults.
* Cat Themed Items Cat themed items for humans. Dinnerware, office and desk accessories, and much more.
* Cat Bites How to care for bites from cats, for both humans and cats.
* Diseases Learn the truth about diseases and illnesses humans often fear they can contract from cats, especially stray cats, such as rabies, Cat Scratch Fever (Bartonellosis), Toxoplasmosis and Ringworm.
Find out about diseases and illnesses cats do get, but don't spread to humans, such as Asthma, Cancer, Chronic Renal Failure, Diabetes, Feline Leukemia, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV), Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP), Hepatic Lipidosis (Fatty Liver Disease), Hyperthyroidism, and more.
* Links Find links to a great many helpful sites for further information concerning cats.
* Margaret's Musings on Cats Read some vignettes of events that have occurred with our cats.
* Non-cat links Information and links for helping with computer problems.
* Outdoor Cat Shelters Information on making or buying an outdoor cat shelter.
* Pet Loss Select books that can help adults and children cope with the loss of a pet. Also includes links to helpful websites and pet memorial items.
* Photo Art Unique designs featuring W. V. Cats' very own cats!Each design is a painstakingly created photo edited collage. Designs are available on products for purchase.
* Questions and Answers Read some questions that were asked and Margaret's replies. You might have the same or a similar question and can therefore benefit from an answer already given. You can ask a question on the W. V. Cat's forum.
* Cat Repellents Learn about safe cat repellents to keep cats out of your yard. Includes links to purchase these safe and effective products.
* Rescues Read about cats befriended and rescued from the streets.
* Safety and Wellness Information about foods, plants and other substances that are dangerous for cats to eat, and what medications can lead to severe illness or death in cats.
* Stories Find fiction books about cats for children and adults. Read the original short storiespublished on W. V. Cats.
* Things Cats Need Find out about helpful products and items that address the needs of both humans and cats, such as scratching items cats will want to use instead of your furniture, large enough litter boxes, cat furniture, and more.
* Cats for Adoption Find the perfect cat to fill your home and heart with love.